Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Psychiatric Ward Designed by Patients

I found this article on how patients degined their own psychiatric ward.  It's a bit crazier than what Gui is planning to do with the school, but the idea is the same: let the people using the space design it.  Here's the link:
 http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/03/19/madlove_a_designer_asylum_from_james_leadbitter_the_vacuum_cleaner_is_a.html?wpsrc=sh_all_mob_em_top

I thought it was interesitng that their design included so much color.  I've visited someone in a psychiatric ward before, and they are very color-less places.  I don't know the reason for this, but I had always assumed that the colors would irritate patients with certain conditions.  However, the absence of interesing stimuli does seem like it would make the people who weren't already crazy crazy.  The room kind of looks like a child's playroom because it has a bunch of interesting stuff, and it's all in different shapes.  I look forward to hearing whether this room changes the behavior of the patients.  In general, I thought this showed the principles we were trying to work with, and it would be cool to implement something like that here at the university psychiatric hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment