Friday, February 27, 2015

More Kiosk Examples in the Plaza


This is another picture of Marriott Plaza.  Again, people have a table set up in about the same spot, and they have a sign that says "COME SAY something NICE..... anything NICE!"  They also have a table with a microphone that is hooked up to speakers.  When I passed by they were playing music for the whole plaza, but presumably I could have gone up and announced something to the whole plaza, but also I would have had to interrupt the music, which didn't strike me as something cool.  Again, it felt a little awkward to be prompted to announce yourself to a group of people who don't really know you, and some people who can't even see you.  It would be great for us to have something like this, but only if we could really push that casual "it's okay to express yourself, people want to hear it, it's not weird" vibe.  I might have been coerced into announcing something if my friends had been there, but I don't care about expressing myself to people who don't care about me unless it's in a much more anonymous setting.  I have no motive, even with a pushy "let's make the world a happier place one phrase at a time" prompt.  I don't want to expose myself, and that's pretty much what being in the middle of this plaza means.  Exposure.  Maybe the kiosk would make a good environment for people to gather and help them to not feel so exposed.  I think having a roof would definitely further this purpose, so I'm glad that's included in the design plans thus far.  

No comments:

Post a Comment