Friday, September 12, 2014

Power to the People

I had a thought the other day (I know, I know, thinking is good).  Unoriginality aside, I thought it might find an expression on this blog.  The Second Amendment was created to protect the right of the citizens of the United States of America to keep and bear arms.  Now, aside from the typical "guns kill people/the constitution says I have a right to possess weapons" debate, I think there is a larger weapons issue in this country right now.  The Founding Fathers created the Second Amendment to ensure that the citizens of what was then a British colony would forever have the ability to defend themselves against their native government.  However, the Founding Fathers couldn't have predicted the arsenal of modern weaponry that world governments now have at their disposal.  The art of war has evolved far beyond population numbers.  We now live in an age where accountability resides in approval ratings.  The purpose of the Second Amendment was to give people the power to change their government if they didn't like it, but citizens can no longer do that simply because of the vast wealth of power the U.S. government has accumulated.  So really, the issue isn't about whether people own guns or not, the issue is how to take approval ratings and give middle and lower class citizens the ability to impact the government if things aren't working out.  The intention of the Second Amendment was to prevent the system we have now occurring.  Sure we have the same name as the good old U.S. of A, but we sure as hell are not the same country.  Now, frankly, I'm not sure what to do about that, because I see no way out of the trap that I have suddenly found that my ancestors let me fall into.

So yeah, just a mildly depressing thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment