Monday, September 22, 2014

Empathy Part II: Identity

I identify myself in many ways that distinguish me from others.  When asked to list my identities, most of the things that I come up with are things that make me unique and different from others, for example, my given birth name, my screen usernames, and my identification as a part of the very small group of female engineers, which also makes me unique in most settings.  However, my identity isn't just comprised of things that make me different from other people, although those are the things that come to mind.  I can identify with many large groups of people, and this is also a part of who I am.  I'm not sure if it's convention that gives me the idea that identity is something to distinguish you and set you apart from other people, or if I'm just weird.  But I do consider it rather alarming that I try as a matter of course to throw my empathy and relations away when I think about who I am.  I'm still not sure what it means to try to identify my separation from others as opposed to my connections with them, but now that I am aware of it I am trying to expand my list of identities to be more inclusive of all of who I am, not just the parts that I can't relate to anyone else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment